Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Schlossgut Gross Scwhansee

While I would never brave the crowds in the summer, spring and autumn here is exceptional in every way.  I spent a wonderful, long weekend here last year with wonderful friends and the only woman in this world absent my mother for whom I would, quite literally, die.  I should go back, though probably never will.  And that saddens me.  Often the attempt to relive a particular moment and feeling is actually more painful than the letting go. 

That weekend, that crisp northwesterly just arrived from Denmark...  saline mist on my lips, drizzle in our hair, her smile, her love, their companionship, that dinner...  the sailboats in the harbor, the smell of the north, hanseatic history, that sauna...  The memory is already starting to fade, though the raw longing felt by its incremental loss will stay with me well into my senile years.  So in a way, I'll always have Schlossgut Gross Schwansee, though her love, their friendship and that place are all but gone forever...